Friday, June 1, 2007

off the grid...

i gotta say. i don't know what it is about that magical line that divides CA from OR. but it felt like the second i crossed it, i was renewed. i'll never get tired of driving those roads in southwestern oregon. with cali behind me, the old leash (most people call them cell phones) got turned off and stuffed to the back of the glove box, which of course, holds no gloves.

with a smile that wouldn't leave, i traversed lower oregon, stopping from time to time to snap a shot with my trusty box camera. napped in the shade by the side of the road. spent too much time buried in the atlas, while driving (arg!). wrote a bit of poetry. somthing that, i hate to say, but, i don't do enough these days. but sure-as-shootin (that wasn't as nearly as fun to write as it is to say), put me in the woods on a summer day and i'm bound to tear up slightly and want to write poetry.

before i leave you with the poem.

a few other things that happened today. almost ran out of gas, again. got lost twice (not really lost, just didn't know where i was). a guy asked me if i was a carpenter, because of the reality sticker on my car...lucky guess. sang really loud in the car. talked about old cameras and building log houses with a 91 yr old grampa. spry guy for 91. drove a tractor. admired a full moon (a blue moon actually). and listened to a sad-sweet irish tune on an old fiddle.

it was a good day.

but this poem sums today's drive better...

==================

the hills and valleys
rise and fall
in a simple comforting rhythm
like ocean waves
imitated in green

i slide through on these paved paths
as if i was walking on mountain water,
rocky and treed

i cannot find a shred of sadness
in this clear blue air
for the breeze only brings a smile
even in my solitude

these roads, now familiar trails,
whisper their surrounding beauty

and like old friends we sit together
in silence
watching the world fly by

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you stopped by to see Denise and the boys. Thanks soooo much!

You need to write more poems - they bring out great stuff in you! Glad you you are enjoying OR.

I'm going to inspect the deck today! Love you
Nana

Lara said...

Sounds like an amazing day...

Anonymous said...

Who Are You :)? Poetry? Writting? Emotions uttered aloud? You aren't the stereo typical Conrad Male! Ha ha.

I admit, partly my fault, but I can't help but have an image/feeling of a young boy or maybe (stretching) a teenager named "Little" Michael who I remember from my now very apparent past. The young man who one time went skiing in Sweats with his older cousin and friends; whose sweats later became gray sheets of ice, (because he wasn't that good of a skier) but of course that never dampened or diminished my cousin's smile.

Your free spirit is taking you everywhere, living your dreams. This is something I could never do. I admire you, I am proud of you...I love you cuz! Don't change!

Hey, on your way back to SB give me a heads up, that is if you haven't left already. I spend most of my days (weekdays)in San Jose again but the family is still hanging in Pleasanton. cell: 925-260-2603

corsii said...

Mr. Michael,
Dear one, we own the farmland on the border on the coast, but, alas! I think that you crept up to Oregon on I-5 because we on 101 weren't able to see the full moon two days ago for some evening fog...

Be well! If you find yourself on 101 call me up and we can go exploring!